10.22.2005

"Is it okay if we call you 'Pop'?"

when my daughter was born, i knew that i wanted to call my dad "Pop", but i also knew i had to ask. that was what we called my grandfather and being called that meant a lot to live up to. with a grin warbling close on tears, my dad whispered "yes". he filled large shoes with that yes and gave a resurgence of hope in our family.

i talk with my dad every day. most days, it's more like four times. yesterday, he said something that caught me off guard. he said he was nervous because he was playing golf with some guys he didn't know. my dad, the Pop was nervous? wow....what a feeling. to know that someone who has always been so strong, could actually feel peer pressure. that he could actually get nervous. it suddenly made a lot of little things seem very, well, little.

my dad has been a constant source of inspiration, hope, love, encouragement, determination, willpower and wonder. he amazes me with his wit and laughter. his ability to walk into a room and light it up with his smile is unbelievable. i could go on, but i don't think i'd ever stop writing...

2 comments:

Nondori said...

I feel the same way about my daddy. As a pastor, he's helped me so much on my spiritual walk.

As a father, he's taught me much about life. Most importantly, he taught me about love.

Your father also sounds like an amazing man!

Carrie said...

thank you for your comment! and you are right, my dad is quite the amazing man.

i'm glad to know that you have such a wonderful father as well. dad's are often underrated and they teach us so much.