12.08.2005

Lockhart v. United States

The ninth circuit court ruled yesterday that Social Security benefits can be garnished to pay overdue student loans. granted the loans have to be outstanding for ten years, but i know people on social security and most of them can't afford to have any of it taken from them.
and, i could be wrong here, isn't this paying back the government with the government's money? either way it seems excessive and aggressive. do you really think garnishing part of the $874.00 of someone that lives in Seattle is going to reduce the student loan debt, or kill him sooner so that he can get off social security? this just makes me mad.
oh, and if anyone can tell me the supreme court ruling stating that parent's rights END when their child enters school property, i would be most appreciated. and then i will post my angst about that, too.

5 comments:

Chloe' Gardner said...

Girl, don't even get me started on the courts/government, we'll be here all day! I understand your point all too well. This country is getting more and more screwed up by the day!

Erik said...

aaah! booo! boooooo! damn it! (not directed towards you!)

Carrie said...

thanks for letting me know i'm not alone in my tirade.

erik, as if i thought you would have been booing me. BTW, i showed your site to a friend of mine and he laughed so hard that he snorted. that, my dear, is awesome

gorjus said...

Are you going to hate me if I don't think it's that bad?

And, to be more depressingly clear, it wasn't the 9th ruling on it (they already had). It was the Supremes ruling (unanimously) that it was okay.

Carrie said...

so sorry lawyer boy! and, no i won't hate you but i might have to hit you in the tummy, just once, to make me feel better.