7.21.2006

Interesting...

So, the 31st of this month is to be my last day at work. Right? Well, about an hour ago, my boss called me, at home and told me to go ahead and cash in my vacation and sick days and not worry about coming in next week. Let me tell you, that threw me a little. I know his reasoning behind it, all the guys are going to be out of town at a conference, so there really isn't any reason for me to be there. Nontheless, it still unsettled me. I guess I just wasn't prepared for this yet. You know how you get a time or date in your head and when things change that, you have a moment of, well, dumbfoundedness? (I know that might not be a word, but it seemed right at the time.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but it's still odd. I don't remember what it's like to not work in a "real" job. So I'm stuck in this limbo of liberation and what-the-hell-do-I-do-now? I'm new at this stay at home mom thing, and I'm real new to being a full time artist, so I guess I want to know if anyone else felt this or am I just going crazy?

On a different note, I want everyone who comes to my blog to go to my brothers site and read his post titled "When We Were Very Young". It's a very touching, and very true, piece about my family's history. Part of what forged who we are as a unit. There are amazing pictures that, up until now, have only been seen by my family. Photos of a time long ago, when things were harder, but no less special. It was difficult for me to get through the first time I read it, but now that I can do it without crying, I want others to share in that strong, heady emotion as well. Take the ten minutes and relive the lives that have so clearly shaped mine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I say congratulations, but I can totally understand what you are saying. I would be a little unsettled as well, but hey, it's done and no point wasting energy analyzing it right?

Perhaps making a sort of schedule at first would help so that your time is sort of organized, which may help you transition...just a thought.

My cousin has 4 kids and she has a weekly schedule of when she does things. For her, Mondays are laundry day and it literally takes her ALL day...hahaha. Tuesdays are baking days to make food for until the next Tuesday etc etc.

But you being a full time Mom/Artist, you are going to be a busy lady trying to juggle both things. I bet you find you are just as busy, but busy with things you WANT to do and things you will cherish more in your life.

I am so so happy for you...make the very best of this time, you so deserve it!

And I checked out that post on your bro's site and it was awesome. It inspires me to write one about my grandparent's. How I miss my Grandad so.

Take care Pinky and stretch those fingers out, they are going to need it I predict! Hehe. :)

Sweet and Salty said...

I would be a bit unsettled too, Pinky, but no matter. You know what you want and I'm sure you'll do well.

Good luck

Carrie said...

Thanks, guys. I know it's cool, just one of those things that took me by suprise and I needed to vent.

becca.elpy said...

I get want you mean. I'm not a mom yet and I don't know how much of an artist I am, but I am jobless. Throwing myself more into my shop as each day passes, trying not get depressed. It's hard, but I'm happier than was before, finishing things, being able to say 'I did that' and not have it wrecked the next day ie, my retail job (store maintenance was so unfulfilling) really feels great.

Cynthia said...

Congratulations! It's a big step and decision. I know it was for me when I finally took the leap. I had a hard time telling people I was an artist when they asked what I did. "I work at home"...

To tell you the truth, I am more busy now that I don't go to "work" than I was when I had a "job"! There is so much to do during the day and if you're a stay at home mom, most of the day to day stuff falls into your lap magically.

It's easier to get my art work done when my daughter is in school than the summer months, but I am managing to squeeze in a little almost everyday. Even though it's not glamerous, I am glad that I have this time to spend with my daughter while she is young. There is going to come a day when she doesn't need and or want me around so much anymore.

Have fun and enjoy your time! You are a talented jewelry designer and will do great! I love your new leather pieces!