9.04.2006

Columbus Drag Strip


I could go on for hours about how much fun I had at the drag races. I've never been to one and when my husband said that he wanted to go on Sunday, I was all for it. There were literally throngs of people there. All different kinds. Some people looked like they had just come from church, some looked like they were going hunting, some looked like they should be on a street corner. Man, it was cool. And the betting that was going on! Apparently, drag racing is quite a racket for betting.

What was even cooler than the people were the cars. Some looked like they could barely make it down the street, but when they got on the strip they shot off like rockets. Nitrous boosters and alcohol fuel! I've never seen anything like it. And it wasn't just cars! There were motorcycles, four-wheelers, trucks and even one kid that got to run down the track on a dirt bike. I took well over 100 pictures and as soon as I load in the video streams, I'll post those, too. It was so loud, I really think I lost hearing in my right ear. But, it was so worth it. Check it out:










Cool, huh? I have so many more pictures, but I think I'll load them into Flikr so you can see them all. I hope everyone had as much fun this weekend as I did!!

5 comments:

Bare said...

How cool! I haven't been to the drags in a LONG time! I had a friend I worked with at Proffitts' in Bristol that loved to go to the drags. Her boyfriend raced his car there every thursday night. It was always so much fun. Thanks for sharing the pics with us :0)

X said...

That looks super snazzy! We used to have drag races here with supped up cars. Almost got arrested a few times because it was more "Fast and Furioius" than that! Ah, good times :)

Orlando said...

That looks like fun! Some of the local young kids try to do stuff like that here in Miami with their beefed up Hondas and toyotas and shitty little japanese cars. I myself am an american car guy which is why I own a Ford Mustang. Only Ford that's reliable and good looking.

On a separate note: Are you having trouble with your blogger lately? I was starting to get a few readers and posting on other's blogs regularly but now with this beta version issue it seems like posting has gone down considerably.

Carrie said...

Hey All!! My husband has been going to the races off and on since the nineties, so he was very familiar about it. I told him even though I was from Alabama didn't mean I'd ever been to one! It was fantastic.

Orlando, yeah, I'm having problems, too. I haven't been able to post new blogs or post comments for a couple of days. Sometimes it would go through quick, other times I would get the error message. Don't know what's going on.

RedNeckGirl said...

I so love fast cars! Sounds like you had fun......can't wait to see the rest of the pics.