9.18.2006

Updates part Two and Why I Hate the Grocery Store

My daughter is doing okay. She has a viral infection that is making her boogery and coughy. She's not running a fever, but she sounds terrible. Since it's a virus, there isn't much we can do but give her Robitussin and snuggles. She likes the snuggles better than the Robitussin. All in all, she is doing okay and may be able to go to school tomorrow, just depends on the boogers. Sorry to be so gross, but all you parents out there know exactly what I am talking about.

Okay, now what could be so bad to make Pinky hate the grocery store? Well, it's not Kroger's fault, not really. I like them a lot, they have 10 for 10 sales and I can buy in bulk, so that's cool. And they are nice there. So I guess I'm just taking my anger out on the grocery store instead of where it needs to go.

When we moved to this house, the kitchen was big and kinda ugly. Green cabinets that didn't match each other, stained counter tops, you get the idea. So we ripped it all out. Yep, all of it. Walls included.



We had plumbing problems and electrical problems, but we were optimistic! We waited f o r e v e r to get the cabinets in, but they were worth it. Japanese maple, custom made for out kitchen with my designs as the template. I wanted sleek and classy. I got it and I was soooo happy!! Beautiful stainless sink, extra wall mount oven, and the quietest dishwasher on the market. Oh, it was a dream. I always wanted a large kitchen and now I had it and it looked fabulous.






But, this is where the problem comes in. It's not done. Nearly a year later and it's not done. See the spot where the stove that matches the oven that matches everything else is supposed to go? Hmm?? See it?



Yes, well it still looks like that. I don't have a stove. I cook everything out of the microwave or a little toaster oven. If I run them both at the same time? I blow a breaker. And my wonderful, uber quiet dishwasher? It's quiet all right, because it's never been hooked up, so it's just a glorified drying rack. I wish I was kidding. I still hand wash dishes and put them in the dishwasher of the gods to dry.

So folks, unless it can be microwaved or will fit in a dorm sized toaster oven, it ain't getting cooked here. Do you understand now why the grocery store makes me angry? It's because it mocks me all the way through. "You could eat us for dinner, Pinky! Oh, wait, you don't have a stove! HAHAHAhAHA!!"

10 comments:

Carrie said...

The why is easy. Hubby was doing it all, then asked if I could pitch in. SURE! But when it came down to it, he didn't want me to spend my money. So, I've just been waiting. But we also have another house that we are working on so we can move in there. It's larger and it will be the one we stay in until retirement.

He has a big heart and treats me like a queen even though I demand not to be. He pretty much wanted to do more than we could do at the time. But, we should be in the other house before too long, then we will finish this one and sell it. That's how it goes, I suppose!

I will gladly email you about Project Hugs. It's something that took me a while to have the nerve to do, but now I'm glad I did. It's still small, but we're getting there.

Anonymous said...

Project Hugs?! What's this you speak of?

I feel your pain Pinky. A few years ago my plumbing was screwed and I couldn't afford to fix it. I had to do dishes in my bathtub for over a month! LOLOLOL!!! You should get a Coleman stove or one of those counter top elements. They're like $30 and you can find them at most hardware stores. :) I used to live in my parent's basement and I had a whole mini kitchen set up with one of those (no oven either) and it worked just like a stove top burner.

Glad to hear your Daughter is feeling better!

G said...

Glad to hear your daughter is feeling better. Oh they do love the hugs! I know of renovation woes, but we're getting there. But hey, you have another place waiting - wah, I feel so bad for you :) Good luck all around.

Carrie said...

Hey Blurr! Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a cooktop, but I'm afraid of blowing fuses and causing electrical problems.

G, I know, wah, there's another house. But it's a retarded and complicated thing. Family crapola that occured before we got married. So, even if we didn't want it, we're stuck with it.

X said...

I hope your daughter feels better soon. Man, that kitchen is hot! I love it! Too bad it doesn't work.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!

I'm sorry to laugh, but the store mocking you is just too funny!

I think it looks really good. I used to work in kitchen cabinetry, so I know what looks good. Don't be upset though....the store mocks me...saying the same thing with "you could eat us mindtwister, but you can't because you don't know how to cook". I show that Krogers though....I go eat at places I don't have to cook.....lol. Sometimes I really gotta work hard for it though, but its all good :)

If you come home one day and the cabinets are gone....it was me ;)


mindtwister

Anonymous said...

Hey Pinky. I'm sorry about the renovation problems. I hate those. Sheesh, that's a long time to be cooking from a microwave and a toaster oven, though you made me laugh till coffee came out my nose at your description of the mockery at Krogers.

Give your girly a great big hug for me and I hope she feels better soon.

Pavel

Cynthia said...

I have to say...that was a laugh out loud description of your home remodeling and grocery store shopping drama! I feel for you...we remodeled last year...and it took a year...we still haven't finished painting. Though the grocery store doesn't mock me for that...just the raw wood reminder that my to-do list is not finished.

I hope your daughter feels better. Snotty noses-been there. Not fun. Hugs!

Carrie said...

I'm glad I could make all of you get a laugh! A lot of the stall is the electrical and I only get mad at it every now and then. It cost a LOT to redo a kitchen so I understand why it's not done yet. Even without all the appliances working, I still loooove my kitchen. It's just so pretty!

I'm pretty used to it by now and I can make red beans and rice with sausage, cornbread, baked beans, green beans, broccoli salad, and a few other things. I seriously should write a ccok book on microwaveable cooking. I've gotten to be a pro! ;)

RedNeckGirl said...

You poor thing.....I'd be lost without my stove/oven I love to cook and bake...I don't get a chance to do it as much as I like to.

Glad your daughter is better....my little one is sick again! He's been to the dr 5 times since the end of July......on antibiotics 3 times. oooooh the frustration.....and it's not even cold season yet....eeeeek!

take some pics of the new house too....love to see it!