7.07.2006

Garden Lariat

Garden Lariat
by:

Pinky!

Double strand, glass, shell and metal necklace.
Available in my shop!

If you click on the picture, you can see it a little better. I started this at about 11 one night, and would not stop until it was done. The total length is 32 inches, so you can imagine, I was up a while. Sometimes, I can put a piece down and work later, but more times than not, I'm using it as therapy. If I'm upset or bothered or I just have more on my plate than I can handle, I create. I've done that most of my life.

It gives me the chance to take the ugly feelings and pour them into something useful. Gardening was one of the best ways I did that. I could sit outside in my garden, pulling weeds, tilling, planting, cursing, swearing, getting it all right so that when they bloomed, it would look good. But the whole time, I was putting my anger, hurt and discontent to rest in a flower bed. It never failed, when the plants grew, or bloomed, I was so glad to see that anger had helped create something beautiful.

In some small way, that's what I do with my art. I put all my blah aside and focus on the task at hand. I use my discontent and frustration to design a new piece that I've never done. Then when all the fury has drained, I look back and I have created something beautiful. Creating seems to even the balance of good and bad in myself. And that's cool, because I am really the one that is making the balance within me, I'm just using art as an outlet.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Really beautiful! I know what you mean about gardening and art as therapy...it works wonders for me too.

Sweet and Salty said...

It's really very amazing the different way (avenues?) people use to create art. Thank you for sharing yours.

(Note to self: must go to pinkys store and check out her stuff)

Sweet and Salty said...

It's really very amazing the different way (avenues?) people use to create art. Thank you for sharing yours.

(Note to self: must go to pinkys store and check out her stuff)

Bare said...

That is really beautiful! I wish I was talented like that! I need to get back into scrapbooking. Having a "crafty" hobby really is relaxing and rewarding!