7.24.2006

Happy Birthday, Diddy


My dad is so many things all wrapped in one fantastic man, it's really hard for me to tell you all the wondrous attributes that he possesses. He is a loving husband, the epitome of hardworking, a funny and caring father and he is the strength that holds our family together. I have watched my dad work days that would nearly kill any normal man and he never, ever let it show. He always walked through the door with a smile, a hug and a genuine interest in what happened in my day.

Today is his birthday, his 55th, and I wanted to do something to let him know how much he means to me. He never wants anyone to get him presents, he thinks it's silly, he already has all he needs. But, if any of us buy him something, he is receptive and appreciative and all full of love. I bought him some awesome Lone Ranger coasters that the lovely and fantastic ubercherry made, just for him. But I needed to do more, something personal. So, Diddy, here is what I did for you:



I painted this, just for you. You are the big heart that has loved and sheltered me, that has protected me in a glow of assurance and support when I needed it most. You have given me love like no other and asked nothing in return. You have shown me that it was okay, and even beautiful, to be strong, intelligent and a little defiant. You, and you alone, held me when my heart was broken by a boy and then again, when it was devastated by a man. You have wiped tears, shared laughter, experienced my pain and watched me grow into someone you are proud of.

I hope that you know how much you are to me. You are my friend, my confidant, a source of laughter, and a constant supply of strength. You are amazing and you literally glow with outpouring of love that you give to so many people. You touch lives and change them forever. You lead men and they respect you. You love your granddaughter more than you thought you could love any one human. But more than all of these things, you are my Diddy. Thank you for all you are, Happy Birthday, Dad, I love you.

4 comments:

Sweet and Salty said...

Happy birthday, Pinky's Dad!!! You raised a very inspirational daughter and I appreciate it.

Carrie said...

Pavel! You are so completely wonderful!! I hope you are doing okay, your lack of posting today had me worried! Glad to hear from you and the sweet things you have to say. (blush) :)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more Pavel! Happy Birthday Daddy Pinky! :)

Thanks so much for the wonderful job you did in raising such a fantastic person!

übercherry said...

pinky, that painting is wonderful. and the piece you wrote underneath it was just lovely and really heartwarming. i'm glad that you have such a special bond with your father and that you let the whole world know how much he means to you :)