5.11.2006

Last day

Today is the last day my daughter is in school. Yep, that's right. I picked her up less than an hour ago. And while I have been SO glad that she isn't going to be at that school, I totally and completely forgot to think about her not being in school at all.

I have worked since she was a baby, so she was in daycare, which is year round. No summer breaks, always a place that I knew she would be taken care of. And yes, I have a summer plan for her, it's a little convoluted, but I still have one. One week with the grandparents, one week with her friend here in town. Sounds great, but I never figured in how much driving time and how much "me" time I would be losing.

I know, that sounds crappy, but it's true. Now, granted, when she is with my parents, she will be in another state. Which will be fun for her, but as much as I like my free time, I miss her terribly when she is gone. I wander around not really knowing what to do with myself. Her room is empty and she's not up under my feet playing dress-up, getting into my crafts, any of those things.

So, yeah, I'm in this weird spot today. The one where I want her with me all day and the one where I want to be able to be silent and alone for a while. I know, somewhere in my brain, that this will all work out and it's just another phase of life that I have to deal with. But like most phases, it's not easy when you're going through it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a really healthy way of dealing with life's transitions by being honest with your feelings and seeing the entirety of the situation.

You're daughter is very lucky to have a Mother like you!

Just remember, as much as you are missing her, she is missing you JUST as much and when it comes time for you to see eachother again it will make that time all the more special. :)

Hang in there!